Visit our website


Learn more about JFW by visiting our website ajfwa.ca

Monday, April 08, 2019

National Camp through the eyes of a Newbie

National Camp 2020 planning is well underway.  Wondering what it is all about?  Want to know if you should be booking your vacation now?  Here is what Brandilee from Airdrie had to say after her FIRST National Camp.
National Camp….Those words bring back happy memories, and feelings of excitement, and anticipation. My family and I had the wonderful opportunity the summer of 2017 to attend our very first National Camp. It was our very first year in the JFW world, and we had heard nothing but good things about National Camp. The reality of it didn’t disappoint. 
There were so many wonderful, amazing classes that opened my eyes to new hobbies to try personally, and to teach our Wardens! I enjoyed learning about how to make soap, salves to heal, soapstone carvings, flintknapping, glass blowing and so many more skills!

I loved that there was such a variety of classes. There was something for everyone in my family. My son who at the time was 10 loved the Flying Bobs Circus Training and had a blast at the performance. Asking him about his favourite part, his answer was “I’m not sure, there was so many good parts!” My husband enjoyed meeting new people and the vast variety of classes. His favourite class was the knife forging. My daughter who was 13 at the time, enjoyed the classes but also really loved getting to know other AC’s from the other clubs. Her favourite class was also knife forging. It was a great experience making a usable knife out a piece of rebar.  
It was eye opening to see how big our JFW family really is. It is one thing to know that our family is spread from BC to Newfoundland, it is another to meet them! I was floored to meet so many like minded families! It was an honour to learn alongside so many wonderful people and I can’t wait to go back, reconnect and forge new friendships!
Submitted by     
Brandilee Elson     The Airdrie Wolves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your well-mannered comments are welcome. Please remember that our children will be reading them!