Submitted by Laura Gilles, Challenger, Calgary Bobcats
Alberta Girls’ Parliament: March 20-24, 2019
Alberta Girls’ Parliament (AGP) was a truly unique experience unlike any other JFW Camp or meeting I have experienced. Over the five days Veronica and I spent there we had three debates and one fun debate. In the debates we discussed topics such as, benefit payments for stay-at-home parents, the inclusion of dental care in standard healthcare, and the teaching of aboriginal languages in all Alberta schools. As someone with no previous debating experience, I began to worry that I had stepped off the deep end as many Girl Guides return to this event year after year. However, everyone was very supportive, sending notes when anyone stood up and made a good argument. The first night after our arrival we played games to get to know the other girls and before bed we had a session to learn and practice public speaking in a casual atmosphere discussing movies, sports, and food. Between debating we had two excursions, one to West Edmonton Mall, and one to the legislature buildings. Going to the Alberta Legislature was quite distinctive; we had a tour guide educate us on topics like why there is a fifty-year-old hamburger in the legislature library, or why the dome of the legislature has five palm trees growing in it. We also had the opportunity to meet the Lieutenant Governor Lois Mitchell and ask her questions. In case you were wondering she loves to shop sale items at Winners and said that the queen is very easy to talk to. She also gave us advice on how to live and how to treat people. Although Alberta Girls’ Parliament is not like any JFW camp, I would highly recommend it to any girl, regardless of her feelings towards public speaking. AGP provided a genuinely kind and welcoming environment and I would go back without a second thought if given the opportunity.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Your well-mannered comments are welcome. Please remember that our children will be reading them!