Visit our website


Learn more about JFW by visiting our website ajfwa.ca

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Opinion - The Three R’s of Junior Forest Wardens


The Three R’s of Junior Forest Wardens


“What is the philosophy of JFW?” This is a question not often heard. It is more common to hear asked, “What are the ‘aims of the Junior Forest Wardens’?”, as this is contained in the Pledge, which every new member learns by heart soon after joining. Indeed, the Pledge, Code, Watchword and Motto are central to the Junior Forest Wardens philosophy, and deserve their place of prominence at every camp and club gathering.

There is another element, deceptively simple, yet profound. It is not often spoken of, so it would not be surprising if you have not heard of it. It ought to be, though, because it is the very heart of all that is good about Junior Forest Wardens. It is the ‘3Rs’.

"Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?" Nope, not those 3 R’s. "Replacement, Reduction, Refinement?" Not those either. "Readin’, wRitn’ and ‘Rithmetick?" "Rapid, Reliable, Repeatable?" Not even those.  

The Three R’s of Junior Forest Wardens are: Responsibility to Myself, Responsibility to Others, and Responsibility to Junior Forest Wardens and the Environment. There is a lot packed into these three short phrases.

If I am responsible to myself, then I ought to take care of my possessions, take care of my health, and feed my body with good food, my mind with knowledge and good stories and my soul with the arts and especially with experiences of the natural world. Furthermore, I will find that the consequences, for good or ill, of every word I utter and of my smallest action is my responsibility alone to bear. 

If I am responsible to others, then I will accept and treat each person as my equal. I will respect their property and their persons, and I will honour my commitments. I will try to be helpful, supportive and unselfish. I will be kind, and will consider the needs and the happiness of others as being equally important to my own.

If I am responsible to Junior Forest Wardens, then I will take it seriously, learn all I can from the opportunities presented, and work to build up my club and help it flourish. I will extend this caring attitude to the place where I live, and be a supporter and builder of my community.  I will pass along the high ideals of JFW to others, and try to lead by example. (Junior Forest Wardens provides an unparalleled chance to gain some important knowledge, attitudes and life skills that we can use for the betterment of everyone).

Similarly, if I am responsible to the earth and the environment, then I will try to understand the profound importance of the natural systems that make life possible. I will learn all I can about the earth, and from it, and I will - as often as possible - immerse myself in the natural world, of which I am inextricably a part. (We belong to the earth, it does not belong to us). I will apply the concepts learned in JFW, and work to protect the earth so that none of its intricate marvels are marred or diminished. It is indeed “a great entail, and we have no right…” ...you know the rest!

The 3R’s have a corollary: Respect for Oneself, Respect for Others, Respect for the Earth. Showing respect, being respectful, being respectable, commanding respect - these are all marks of character. Developing good character is the worthy pursuit of a lifetime. The great Chief Warden, Ernst Klazus, exemplified these principles. His life’s work was, in part, to learn to live in harmony with the earth and with others. His legacy is an invitation to live seriously, joyfully, respectfully, responsibly and purposefully. Ernst embodied the 3R’s of JFW. 

Of course, our modern, fearful, litigious society makes other documents necessary, such as risk waivers and codes of conduct. While essential to the functioning and protection of an organization, they are not the heart of it. A code of conduct, like any code, can only prescribe minimum standards, or limits on behaviour. It is a useful guide, but it cannot inspire. 

The 3Rs, in their simplicity, are powerful. They are the very opposite of arrogance, of carelessness, of cruelty, greed and waste. They are mirrors to examine ourselves in, and simple yardsticks with which to measure our individual and collective growth as humans. They are a worthy philosophy for life, they are suitable for daily (outdoor!) meditations and they can help us avoid the meaningless pressures and trivial distractions of our cluttered and noisy civilisation.

The 3Rs don’t send us to war. They won't have us pursue wealth or power or fame.
They send us out to plant trees.

by Neil Marsh (with thanks to former Assistant Chief Warden Brian McBride for the inspiration)

1 comment:

Your well-mannered comments are welcome. Please remember that our children will be reading them!