Submitted by: Terry Garrett, Past Chief Warden of Alberta
A year and a half ago, I shared with the AJFWA Board that I would be stepping aside as the Chief Warden of the Alberta Junior Forest Warden Association at National Camp 2020. Unfortunately, COVID-19 had other plans and National Camp was cancelled until 2021. It would not have been fair to the Assistant Chief Warden of Alberta Cody Howitt to have him wait another year before becoming Chief Warden, and frankly, I was feeling tired.
So, I am thrilled to announce that, effective September 1, 2020, Cody Howitt is the new Chief Warden for the Alberta Junior Forest Warden Association.
Cody brings a wealth of knowledge to the position and an injection of enthusiasm and fresh ideas. I know he is a wonderful choice for this position and I wish him all the very best. I would have loved to have the big party of National Camp to launch Cody into the position, but maybe we will celebrate this transition at National Camp 2021.
Cody has hinted that he has big shoes to fill (actually only size 6), but he will need to find his own path to follow. Ernst Klaszus had a signature program of Seeds to Trees that he supported, and I found my passion in Outdoor Skills and Survival. I know Cody will bring his own personal touch to the position. The future of this program is in good hands!
Thank you all for your support over the past 13.5 years. I have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people, take part in wonderful programs and events, and spend time with so many of you on Outreach and work experience programs. The behaviour, knowledge, and skills of our Wardens always made me proud to represent them. I have learned a lot from them and others, and hope that you gleaned a little knowledge from me as well. I will remain a member of the AJFWA and will help out wherever I am needed.
Thank you so much for the wonderful memories! I was always proud to represent this organization wherever I rambled. It was an honour to serve as your Chief Warden.



Thank you for giving SO much to our wardens, Terry. Your experience and enthusiasm is contagious!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Terry, for your many years of outstanding service! We are glad to hear that you won't be far away, and look we forward to many more adventures with our Chief Warden Emeritus!
ReplyDeleteCody, congratulations! We can't wait to see what Chief-Wardening looks like in your hands. Best of luck!